Thursday, October 25, 2007

Hidden Files


Hello everyone, this short note was inspired by my annoyance at drilling through my computer's files looking for just that one folder.
As you know, AutoCAD for some time has put their template and other files in a deep dark convoluted path of file folders. They had to do this, I've been told, for AutoCAD to play well with Windows. For those of you who don't have an IT or CAD Manager rearranging things, I'm sharing my list of the Hidden Files that I frequently access. I just got sick of trying to remember which ones are in Local Settings, and which one is in All Users, so I copied them all onto a document, and I'm sharing it with everyone else who doesn't have the time to memorize long file paths.

Obviously, you would substitute your User name for mine, unless you too are named luann. Once you get to the Autodesk folder, whatever version of Autodesk products you have installed has its own folder, so you would substitute that name where I have "AutoCAD2008".

Templates
C:\Documents and Settings\luann\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2008\R17.1\enu\Template

Tool Palettes
C:\Documents and Settings\luann\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2008\R17.1\enu\Support\ToolPalette

CTB & STB Files
C:\Documents and Settings\luann\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2008\R17.1\enu\Plot Styles

Plotter PC3 files
C:\Documents and Settings\luann\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2008\R17.1\enu\Plotters

CUI Files
C:\Documents and Settings\luann\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2008\R17.1\enu\Support

Custom icons
C:\Documents and Settings\luann\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2008\R17.1\enu\Support\Icons

Textures & bitmap bump files
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2008\R17.1\enu\Textures


Just a final note: These file locations are straight out of the box. I know you can set AutoCAD to look elsewhere, but since I do a lot of training, I need to leave things that way so I can show new users where things will be on their computers.

I hope at least one person out there finds this useful. If so, my work here is done.

No comments: