Friday, April 4, 2008

AutoCAD 2009

Hi everyone!
I've been playing with the new AutoCAD 2009, and I have to admit I really like the new user interface. I'll be doing some posts on all the new features, eventually. I know that all the people who are on Subscription have already received their software in the mail. I thought it might be a good idea to put a few facts out there - just a couple questions I've already heard.

First of all, if you didn't specify differently, your software will come as a DVD. Your reseller can order it as a set of CDs if you don't have a computer on your network with a DVD drive. We all have to move forward with technology, even if some of you have to be dragged along kicking and screaming. I feel your pain.
Another thing you need to know before you try to install it is that AutoCAD 2009 will NOT install on Windows 2000. Microsoft has retired it, so the developers at Autodesk did not work with it.
Here are the system requirements, straight from the horse's mouth, ( so to speak). I got these from the official Autodesk website. Hopefully this will keep you from some of the pitfalls of upgrading, or maybe convince your boss that you really do need a brand new computer!
System Requirements

For 32-bit AutoCAD® 2009:
Intel®
Pentium® 4 processor or AMD Athlon, 2.2 GHz or greater
or
Intel or AMD
Dual Core processor, 1.6 GHz or greater
Microsoft® Windows Vista™, Windows®
XP SP2 operating systems

For Microsoft Windows XP
SP2
· 1 GB RAM
· 750 MB free disk space for
installation
· 1024x768 VGA
with True Color
· Microsoft®
Internet Explorer® 6.0 internet browser (SP1 or higher)

For
Microsoft Windows Vista™ or 3D modeling
· Intel® Pentium® 4
processor or AMD® Athlon, 3.0 GHz or greater
or

Intel or AMD Dual Core processor, 2.0 GHz or
greater
· 2 GB RAM or greater
· 2 GB free hard disk
available not including installation
· 1280 x 1024 32-bit color
video display adapter (True Color) 128 MB or greater, OpenGL®, or Direct3D®
capable workstation class graphics card.
For Windows Vista, a Direct3D
capable workstation class graphics card with 128 MB or greater is
required

For 64-bit AutoCAD® 2009:
Windows XP Professional x64
Edition or Windows Vista 64-bit
AMD® 64 or Intel EM64T processor
2GB RAM
750 MB free disk space for installation
AutoCAD 64-bit cannot be
installed on a 32-bit Windows Operating System

I hope this was helpful. I'll be posting more information about the newest version of AutoCAD as soon as I can. I'll be going to Tech Camp on April 14th, so probably after that. Talk to you soon!

No comments: