Friday, May 25, 2007

New Annotative Scaling in 2008


If you've ever wished you didn't have to create different layers and dimension styles for every different scale of viewport you use, with the new Annotative Feature in AutoCAD 2008, your wish has been granted.

The first step to using this feature is to create an annotative text style. This is as easy as checking the correct box, and typing in the text size you want your text to be in Paperspace - the size you want your text to plot at.











Next, when you start the text command, this dialog box will come up asking you what scale you want your text to display at.











I added some text that I want to display with a height of 3/16" in a viewport scaled to 1/4"=1'-0". I made two viewports, one is at 1/4", the other at 1/8"=1'-0". Notice the text doesn't display at all. I have to click on the viewport and choose a viewport scale.










Now I can see the text in only one viewport











I added more text that I want to be visible in both viewports. I click on the text, right click and choose annotative scale > Add scale.











The existing 1/4" scale shows, and I'm going to add 1/8" scale as well.
Now you'll be able to see this text in both viewports









You can choose to have text that displays at one or more viewport scales, as shown here in this example. The same applies to dimensions - the subject of my next entry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could you comment on some of the crashes and errors I've read are caused by the annotative scaling. Granted, I haven't used it yet but I would like as much info as I could get before trying to incorporate it into a new project. Thanks, great site!